20 things I learned in February
The most widely used pro camera you’ve never heard of, Cholera has a vaccine, and SpaceX is crazy
- Strawberries were brought to Europe by a French spy.
- DIYers are using recycled laptop batteries to power their homes.
- Ground cherries look like tomatoes and taste like a cherry tomato injected with mango and pineapple juice. Smithsonian
- Spacex has launched 54 mission so far, and successfully recovered 23 rockets. Spacex Stats
- A German attack on Bari in WW2, released Allied mustard gas spills. The study of those affected, helped lead to the development of chemotherapy. History of Cancer Chemotherapy. Wikipedia
- There is a giant city of Roman ruins in Timgad Algeria. Twitter Wikipedia
- ‘Option’ + ‘=’ will type the ≠ symbol Medium
<kbd>tag is an html element and not just on Stackoverflow. Mozilla MetaStackOverFlow
- You can make code blocks on Medium by selecting the code and hitting the backtick
`character. Medium FreeCodeCamp
<b>Cool</b>th or you can start a new line of code with three ticks.
- Utah’s Westminster College, is the top school with students on the U.S. Winter Olympics team, sending 21 athletes or 8% of Team USA. The college is in an educational partnership with the U.S. Ski & Snowboard federation, promising four days of class and three days on the slopes. The school offers a tuition grant program for students from the U.S. Ski and Snowboard team. NPR
- Nominal, when used in an aerospace context means performing or achieved within expected, acceptable limits; normal and satisfactory; — Medium
- All the curling stones used in the Olympics come from 1 company, who get their stone from one island, Ailsa Craig. Olympics
- Diphylleia grayi is also known as the skeleton flower. The petals turn transparent with the rain. — Twitter
- When the screen play for Arrival was written, there were no screenwriting programs that allowed you to insert an image. So Eric Heisserer, the screenwriter, would write in a blank space, export it as a PDF, then use a graphics program to insert the image. He had to do this each time a revision needed to be done and soon had nearly all the page numbers of each graphic in the script memorized. TalkHouse
- SpaceX is trying to catch the top of the rocket, the fairing, in a big net on a boat. Twitter Instagram
- Waffles can trace their existence back to Greek cooks. Wiki Nibble
- There is now a vaccine for cholera. NYTimes
- Terrorism deaths are down 22% from their peak in 2014. GTI
- Of the 5 Best Cinematography Oscar nominations, all were shot with Arri cameras, but one. (Dunkirk, shot with IMAX) IndieWire
- Sriracha has 8 different fonts on the bottle. If the product is good, your packaging design matters less? 😉 Twitter